Saturday, December 29, 2012

I am a Pilgrim

"I am a pilgrim, but my pilgrimage has been wandering and unmarked.
Often what has looked like a straight line to me has been a circle or a doubling back.
Often I have not known where I was going until I was already there.

I have had my share of desires and goals, but my life has come to me or I have gone to it mainly by way of mistakes and surprises.
Often I have received better than I deserved.
Often my fairest hopes have rested on bad mistakes. 

I am an ignorant pilgrim, crossing a dark valley.
And yet for a long time looking back, I have been unable to shake off the feeling that I have been led--make of that what you will."

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

This book has changed my life. If I can make this a true statement for my life, I'll be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment