Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Life Happenings

This summer I've chosen to live on my college campus instead of moving home like I did last summer. The decision was made somewhat haphazardly, which is almost an improvement for me: normally I agonize decisions for ages and it was a refreshing change to have something happen quickly. It came on the heels of my visit to Jubilee Partners, an intentional community in northern Georgia whose purpose is to acclimate refugees to life in the United States. The visit was interesting; I'd actually applied for a summer internship and went for a tour.

While walking around the property, the man giving the tour, Robbie, and I discussed community, and fellowship, and what it means to be a part of the body of Christ. On my three hour drive home, I started thinking about MY community; I'd intended to move to Jubilee for the summer to learn about forming community but I have a community here at ACC.

Part of my community is pregnant and delivering her second child mere months away. Another part of my community recently asked me to be in his upcoming wedding. A third (the husband of the pregnant one) and I discuss God and life and the intersection of the two in practical application. Our community garden is growing and growing and leaving for Jubilee when the summer term starts (in a couple of days) would mean leaving the growth, which proved to be an unacceptable loss.

So instead of moving home, west, or to Jubilee, northeast, I moved from Head Hall to apartment building 4 the day before yesterday. My summer's goals look somewhat as follows:

Learn about my place in God's community, through a deepening of the relationships with the people around me, whom I love.

Figure out what it means to be a semi-independent woman living in a major city in the United States.

Watch my friend as she carries her baby to term.

Practice my Greek--my final grade in second semester Greek was less-than-desirable.

READ--lots and lots, anything and everything I can find. This includes the Bible-in-a-year program which took a backseat to finals but does not exclude young adult fiction or academic works.

Figure out exactly how to feed myself and how difficult a proposition that will be.

Learn a balance between working and playing, as opposed to studying and playing.

Blog about all the above.

And I'd love to go to the beach, but goodness knows if that will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment